Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Frozen fish

It's very cold here at the moment - the temperature's been below freezing for several days. Look at the state of our fishpond! It's only the pump which keeps it from completely freezing over. I am amazed that the fish appear to be OK - I can see them moving about below the ice. But they seem to have completely given up eating the fish food I occasionally throw at them. I'm fully expecting the entire pond to freeze solid before the end of the winter, in which case I suppose the fish will freeze with it...

2 comments:

Patchwork Dragon said...

Your fish should be OK as long as you can keep a small area from freezing totally. I believe that floating a ball on the water works by keeping that area free of ice...worth a try anyway.

Happy Christmas

Andrew said...

Thanks, I'll try that!