Monday, March 23, 2009

Home, sweet home

I'm currently in the UK, and I have come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I prefer it to Oklahoma.

For one thing, all my friends and family are here, and I've had a great time catching up with all sorts of people. Almost everyone in Oklahoma spends their time (a) working (very long hours), (b) raising their families, and (c) going to church (several times a week), with hardly any time left over for anything else. And most peoples' social lives revolve around these three things, particularly (b) and (c). So for someone like me, whose work involves travelling and working from home, whose family consists of a wife and a dog, and who doesn't go to church, it's almost impossible to develop much of a social life.

Also, a brief comment on current affairs. Is it just me, or is Tony McNulty's expenses claim being given a lot more media prominence than it deserves? I mean, the planet is melting, wars are being fought, the global economy is in freefall, and the British media is obsessed about the expenses of an obscure government minister?

2 comments:

chris said...

Andrew I want to say Im jealous that you are in the UK! I am currently in huge bout of homesickness. Also I do agree with you about living here, I have found it hard to find a social aspect of Oklahoma that feels good to me. Especially in Stillwater, (it is a University town and the the rown caters to the students) were if you are over 25 you are too old to be seen out having a good time.

For some one coming from a big city it comes as a shock, that there is nothing (or if there is I havent found it yet) too do. Not being church goers and no family close by its tough.

Enjoy your trip, I am so jealous..

Chris

Andrew said...

Poor you! Must be tough. I am lucky in a way that my work involves travel so I am able to get out and about to other places and back to the UK now and again. But that does serve to remind me what I am missing in OK!