Saturday, January 17, 2009

Misunderstanding

A few weeks ago, I went for a haircut. (Yes, I lead an exciting life). The hairdresser was an Asian lady; in fact I discovered in conversation that she was from Cambodia. We started chatting about life in Oklahoma City as an immigrant, and about how it compared to things back home. I said that in general, the cost of living in the UK was higher than here, but the one really good thing was that everyone got free healthcare.

'Really?' she replied, seeming almost shocked. 'Yes', I replied. "Well, there are charges for certain things, but in general it's free.' She seemed absolutely amazed.

The other week my wife went for a haircut. (She leads an exciting life too). When she got home she said that the hairdresser had been an Asian lady, and they had got chatting. 'Apparently', she said, 'this English guy came in a few weeks ago, and told her that in the UK everyone gets a free house!'

No comments: