Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Snobbery

It's a common misconception that the British class system is not replicated in the egalitarian US of A - in fact, all my experience suggests otherwise. How anyone can argue that the poor unfortunates living in the ghettos of New Orleans are no different to the middle-class families of suburban America with their perfectly manicured lawns and two kids attending soccer coaching on Saturday mornings is a mystery to me. And the idea that, despite differences in the starting-point, it's more possible here to achieve the 'American dream', through hard work and subsequent social mobility, is laughable when you consider that pretty much the only way to get a college education here is to pay for it - in full. And pretty much the only way to get to a good college is to get good grades by attending a good high school, which means your parents have to live in the right part of town. (Or, indeed, the right town).

And just like in the UK, class snobbery, or something very like it, is endemic. When I was over here in February, while my wife was attending the interview for the job which she was subsequently offered and accepted, I briefly visited Indianapolis on business. Specifically, I stayed in Carmel, which is a small town to the north, a suburb really, very 'arty' and well-to-do. While there, I was invited to a party at a huge private house which stood in a tree-lined drive with a security gate at one end. During the evening I told more than one person that, although I was from the UK, I was soon likely to move to Oklahoma City. The responses I got generally consisted of strangulated smiles and phrases like 'Oh, how interesting! Oklahoma City? I don't think I've ever been there... well, I'm sure you'll find it very... interesting.' It was just as if, as in fact I was once in the position of doing, you told someone who lives in Henley-on-Thames that you were about to move to Slough. 'Slough? Well, it's certainly very... er... multi-cultural.'

I've just got back from a trip to Minneapolis, where I once again had the same kind of response, this time from an academic at the University of Minnesota, during a meal at a Chinese restaurant. On mentioning (inevitably) that I was missing many things about the UK, she replied: 'well, in Oklahoma you'll be missing a lot of things about the USA, too.' It was my turn to give the strangulated smile.

It's clear that many wealthy, educated people in the East Coast and affluent Mid-west view Oklahoma as a kind of redneck backwater, containing nothing but farms, pick-up trucks and Republicans. Well, about 80% of it does consist of farms, pick-up trucks and Republicans, but having lived here for five months now, I am beginning to feel the impetus to defend it - after all, it's my home, at least for the moment. For a start, Oklahoma City itself, in fact, is not at all unsophisticated - there has been a lot of development here in the last few years, and a wander through Bricktown on a Saturday night will offer a goodly supply of lively cafes, bars, restaurants and jazz clubs. Before the election, there were at least as many signs out for Obama as for McCain, certainly downtown. There are several universities, museums, a symphony orchestra, ballet and theatre companies. OK, it's not New York, but in fact when you are less spoilt for choice you tend to make the most of what you have, rather than ending up not bothering because there'll always be something some other night.

What are the other good things about Oklahoma? Everyone is very friendly, likes to chat and pass the time of day. People do seem to really care about their family, friends and neighbours. Never once have I felt rejected or awkward as an outsider; instead, people are generally fascinated that I have come to live here from the UK, and are very welcoming. There is lots of space and it's easy to get about. The economy, despite the current global downturn, is good - in fact I heard on the radio recently that the US states which are doing well at the moment are the energy-producing ones, and Texas, Alaska and Oklahoma were specifically mentioned. Shopping is excellent - a great variety of stores, lots of choice, lots of parking, very good service, and good prices.

OK, I'm not saying that I'd rather be here than anywhere else. Frankly, I'd rather be in Minneapolis (it's a lovely city). And there are many things here that I don't like. But it's strange how you develop an affection for any place that you end up living in.

2 comments:

Raquel said...

Yeah Andrew! As for the college bit, you are preaching to the choir, brother! Unbelievable how much it costs to get a decent education here - for Americans at least! As far as being a desirable place to live, Missouri is down there with OK, and I live in a real po-dunk kind of place. But the crime rate is low, I can leave my car doors unlocked, the water is cleaner and so is the air. It does not take me an hour to get across town, it only takes me about 5 minutes. Not as bad as they make it out to be. No, I do not have all the entertainment options I want, but I make do. Great post! Glad to see you showing some Pay-triotism! Raquel

Andrew said...

Thanks! You're right about the crime - though it seemed to be a big issue when we were looking into where to live, it actually feels very safe to me here - and the low pollution levels. The entertainment issue is particularly important to me because to some extent that's my job, but it wouldn't be so crucial for everybody.